|Award Level (Nomenclature)||M.Eng. by Research in Civil Engineering|
|Programme Title (In Certificate)||M.Eng. Civil Engineering|
|Director of Postgraduate Research||Professor David Penney|
|Awarding Body||IAEC University, Togo|
|Subject Area||Civil Engineering|
|Location||Togo campus (online)|
|Mode of Study||Full time (Online)|
|Duration/Candidature||1 year (accelerated mode)|
|External Reference Points||QAA Qualification Descriptors for FHEQ Level 7|
|Regulations||Degree of Master’s by Research|
|Accreditation||Ministry of Education , Nigeria. Ministry of Education , Togo, UNICEF and World Higher Education Database, also verify our accreditation via www.whed.net|
|Programme fees||#480,000 ($1,500 for international students)|
|Language of Study||English|
This Programme Specification refers to the current academic year and provides indicative content for information. The University will seek to deliver each course in accordance with the descriptions set out in the relevant course web pages at the time of application. However, there may be situations in which it is desirable or necessary for the University to make changes in course provision, either before or after enrollment.
Graduates of this course will be able to work as professional and highly proficient engineers with the skills and expertise necessary to work in a range of careers across the field of civil engineering.
You will be introduced to the broad nature of civil engineering through the integration of knowledge from structural engineering, geotechnical engineering and water engineering. The course will also provide training in engineering research methods and will develop a range of related transferable skills. You will also develop an appreciation of the principles and activities involved in the day-to-day management of engineering business units, typical of those within which civil engineering is practised.
How you will be supported?
In most cases you will be allocated a personal tutor to assist you with both academic progress and pastoral support when required. The personal tutor will see students early on in the programme, and then as required. For the dissertation stage, you will be allocated a supervisor in the relevant research area.
This Masters programme will provide students with:
- The opportunity to conduct high quality postgraduate research.
- Key skills needed to undertake advanced academic and non-academic research including qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Advanced critical thinking, intellectual curiosity and independent judgement.
The programme comprises three key elements:
- Entry and confirmation of candidature
- Main body of research
- Thesis and voice examination
The programme comprises of the undertaking of an original research project of 1 year duration full time
Students for the Masters by Research in Civil Engineering are examined in two parts.
The first part is a thesis which is an original body of work representing the methods and results of the research project. The word limit is 40,000 for the main text. The word limit does not include appendices (if any), essential footnotes, introductory parts and statements or the bibliography and index.
The second part is an oral examination
Knowledge & Understanding
- Critically reflect on the existing knowledge base, current problems and/or new insights, in the field of Civil Engineering.
- Apply research skills, methodologies and subject theory to the practice of research.
- Create, interpret and analyse knowledge in the specific field of study through original research.
Attitudes and values
- Undertake research tasks and make informed judgments with minimum guidance.
- Apply sound ethical principles to research, with due regard for the integrity of persons and in accordance with professional codes of conduct.
- Apply research methodologies and develop critiques of them and, where appropriate, propose new hypotheses.
- Implement independent research skills.
- Locate information and apply it to research practice.
- Design and implement a research project.
Skills and Competencies
- The exercise of initiative and personal responsibility.
- Decision-making in complex and unpredictable situations.
- The independent learning ability required for continuing professional development.
Progress will be monitored in accordance with IAEC University regulations.
Having a Master’s in Civil Engineering degree by research shows that you can communicate your ideas and manage tasks practically. Jobs in research institutes, academia, education, government, management, the public or private sector are possible.